Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Homemade Chip Dip

I'm one of those people who likes chips, if you know me, you know this is true. I have chips in our apartment all the time, and if I ever run out of chips, which is very rare, I will go to the store behind our apartment. (Yes, I should probably join chip eaters anonymous) Now with these chips I like chip dip, but I find it funny how good chip dip is just as expensive as the chips and you don't get enough to finish the bag of chips, so you either end up with too many chips and not enough dip or, because you buy more dip, too much dip and not enough chips. (To me this is kind of like the 8 hot dog buns 10 hot dogs thing, it's just a vicious cycle) After a while I finally decided to see if I could save some money by making my own chip dip. In an effort to find a recipe I went where most people would go, the internet. I was looking for something that wasn't going to take a whole lot of time or work, and that people had given rave reviews about. I also wanted it to be something that I could make a whole lot of at once and then keep it for when I wanted it. It took some searching, but I finally found something that I was willing to test, I can be a picky eater so anything with tomatoes or mushrooms is out. The first time I was able to try this dip was at our house-warming party, and it was a huge success. Since our house warming party I have continued to make this dip each time with great results.

What you need:

1 cup Sour Cream

¼ cup mayo (I actually use a little less because I don't like to taste it, and DO NOT use miracle whip it will be too sweet)

Minced Onions (dried)

Garlic Powder

Salt

Pepper

Mix the Sour Cream and Mayo together in a bowl. Add Minced Onions, Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper to taste.

This recipe is really simple to make and it normally takes me about 10 minutes to make. The only thing that I caution against is adding too much seasoning too quickly. I tend to add a little of each, stir, taste, and then add more if anything is needed. Generally this is cheaper than buying the dip because the only thing I normally have to buy is sour cream.

Storage wise I just put this is a glad-ware container and stick it in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment